Schoof attends debate on Faber’s honours row after all

Prime minister Dick Schoof has decided after all to participate in Wednesday morning’s parliamentary debate on his immigration minister’s refusal to sign off on honours for volunteers after all.
MPs called the debate to discuss Marjolein Faber’s decision not to approve awards for five volunteers who had worked with refugee settlement agency COA. In a letter to parliament on Tuesday evening, Faber said she is “100% behind” Schoof’s decision to sign the approvals in her place.
According to public broadcaster NOS, much of the opposition argues that Schoof should take part in the debate, as cabinet unity is at stake. Having initially said he would not be there, the prime minister has now done a rethink.
RTL commentator Frits Wester had earlier described Schoof’s planned absence as “most remarkable.”
Faber wrote in her note to MPs that she is “100% behind the prime minister’s decision and there is therefore complete unity within the cabinet.” However, Ingrid Coenradie, prison’s minister and fellow PVV representative, has also criticised Faber’s decision.
The debate has been delayed because of Schoof’s decision to shortly after midday.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.
Make a donation