New Year fireworks ban won’t be this year because of time issues

Illegal fireworks found by police. Photo: Politie.nl

Fireworks will not be banned during this year’s New Year’s Eve celebrations because more time is needed to develop the necessary legislation, junior environment minister Chris Jansen has told MPs.

“There are all sorts of things that still need sorting out,” said Jansen, who represents the far-right PVV in the cabinet, during a debate on a potential ban on Thursday evening.

This week both the NSC and VVD said they would support a nationwide ban on consumer fireworks under certain conditions. In particular, the VVD wants to ensure there is a proper enforcement plan and measures to tackle illegal imports from abroad.

Both the VVD and NSC say mayors should be allowed to approve fireworks displays organised by community groups and associations – a proposal previously put forward by ChristenUnie. Working out the details will take at least 18 months, Jansen said.

“That means no ban this year,” he said. One of the questions that still needs to be addressed is how community groups would be able to obtain fireworks if granted a permit, he added.

Ministers must also agree on compensation for fireworks sellers and Jansen said it would be up to parliament to decide where the money should come from. He has suggested €150 million, but the industry is asking for €895 million to compensate the 850 licensed dealers.

The police unions, doctors, hospitals, and emergency service workers have all been campaigning for a ban and several opinion polls suggest it would be supported by a majority of the population.

Two people died, dozens lost hands and eyes, and €16 million worth of damage was caused to private property on the night of 31 December.  In addition, 295 police officers and 49 ambulance crew and fire officers were targeted during the festivities.

A ban on consumer fireworks in 19 towns and cities was widely ignored, leaving mayors to call for a nationwide ban on sales.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation