DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 19 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Self styled “crypto genius” scams victims out of millions

January 12, 2024
Mining crypto currencies. Photo: Depositphotos.com

Some 100 people are seeking legal help after being scammed by a self-styled crypto investor from Hengelo.

The 23-year-old, who has since disappeared, convinced his victims to part with “millions”, one of the duped told local broadcaster RTV Oost.

The man, who has built a reputation as a “crypto genius”, gave investors regular updates on the profit they had made which they could cash or reinvest. Several people did convert their crypto currency to euros but it is now thought the money was simply paid out of their fellow investors’ money.

The total number of possible victims is likely to be larger than 100 because the man’s client mailing list had around 300 names on it, the broadcaster said.

“Legal action could be directed at the person or the professional parties involved, such as the banks and crypto platforms,” lawyer Arjon Tieman said. “The question is to find out to what extent a bank has a duty of care when the account of a young person is showing such huge amounts of money coming in,” he said.

None of the victims has reported the man to police. “We are looking at the best of way of handling this, and if we should pull together and file a mass claim,’ Tieman said.

So far there is no trace of the missing millions.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Crime Fraud
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Jetten sends in expert team to councils hit by anti-asylum riots
Air-raid sirens to fall silent from 2028 as cabinet cuts funding
Long queues continue at Schiphol as security firms change hands
Dutch tax office to tighten checks after €6.7m DigiD fraud
Council of State: planned rules for political parties go too far
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now