DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 24 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Inquiry into €20 million face mask deal extended to money laundering

June 14, 2022
Sywert van Lienden in a still from a Hulptroepen.nl YouTube promo

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on Google
Sywert van Lienden in a still from a Hulptroepen.nl YouTube promo

Three entrepreneurs who earned €20 million in a deal to import face masks that was presented as a non-profit venture are being investigated for alleged money laundering, the prosecution service has confirmed.

Former CDA party activist Sywert van Lienden and his two associates, Bernd Damme and Camiel van Gestel, procured the masks at the start of the pandemic in April 2020, ostensibly through an organisation called Stichting Hulptroepen Alliantie.

But it later emerged the bulk of the deal to supply 40 million masks to the health ministry had been routed through a limited company, Relief Goods Alliance, of which the trio were shareholders.

Van Lienden, who said in media appearances at the time that he had not gained financially from brokering the deal, later admitted it had earned him €9 million.

The prosecution service began an investigation into whether the trio should be charged with fraud after personnel agency Randstad, which provided 15 staff to work for Stichting Hulptroepen Alliantie free of charge, filed a formal complaint.

The investigation, codenamed ‘Full Sutton’ after a high-security British prison, was later extended to include embezzlement after it established that the three men paid themselves millions of euros in dividends from Relief Goods Alliance.

A source told NRC that prosecutors were examining whether the large payments amounted to laundering the proceeds of a criminal act.

Van Lienden and Damme are also involved in a separate court case in Amsterdam to decide if they should be disqualified as directors of Stichting Hulptroepen Alliantie.

The hearing is part of a civil case brought by seven former members of staff and the prosecution service, who claim the two men illegally incorporated the non-profit making organisation into their commercial business.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Crime
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Dutch agree to ban import in goods from Occupied Territories
US tech firms share Dutch regulator officials’ names with senate
Two Dutch men arrested for aiding Russian cyberattacks
All 27 on board Hondius test negative for hantavirus
Minister wants answers from councils with no refugee housing
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now