Dutch terrorism tzar concerned about anti-refugee violence

The Dutch counter terrorism service is ‘concerned’ about the increase in violence, intimidation and threats being made in the Netherlands in relation to refugees and Islam.
In its first report of 2016, the NCTV said it expects an increase in violent confrontation between far-right and left campaigners and that extra vigilance is needed at both a local and national level.
The increasing violence, such as the fire bomb attack on a mosque in Eindhoven, as well as the threats and intimidation at meetings to discuss refugee centres, is putting pressure on local democratic processes, the report states.
In addition, statements by MP Geert Wilders, such as his call for people to ‘resist’ the arrival of refugees, are being misused by far-right groups, the NCTV said.
Meanwhile, the threat of a terrorist attack in the Netherlands remains substantial, the report said. Despite reports this week of a possible attack on parliament, the NCTV has had no indications of any concrete attack being planned on Dutch soil.
By March 1, some 240 Dutch nationals had travelled to Syria or Iraq, of whom 42 had been killed and 40 had returned home. Some 40% of the 160 Dutch nationals still in Syria are women, the report said. Some four or five people are leaving every month.
The NCTV also said it is extremely unlikely that IS had executed up to 75 Dutch fighters, as reported by underground news sites earlier this year.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.
Make a donation